As an influencer, you want ways of growing your brand, outreach and bettering your marketing strategy. Contrary to popular belief, influencer marketing is not easy to plan and achieve; you will have to put in the effort, time and money to make back that effort, time and money tenfold.
Social media influencers like Kylie Jenner, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and other celebrities with over a million followers on Instagram make up to one million dollars per post. You might be concerned about hearing this; does this mean that you need millions of followers to charge brands an Instagram influencer rate?
The answer to that question is no!
Your Instagram influencer pay/pricing/cost does not rely on the number of followers you have; in this article, we will explore the amount of money social media influencers make while briefly touching on the ways you can make money as a ‘smaller influencer.’
So, how much do social media influencers, like Instagram influencers, charge?
If you are wondering how ‘smaller’ Instagram influencers charge or get paid per post, then we are here to break it down for you.
Lickd.co, a ‘social salary’ based calculator breaks down how YouTube, Instagram and TikTok influencers can make up to 100,000 US Dollars through the platforms.
For YouTube Influencers…
In 2020 Ryan Kaji, a boy from Texas, made close to 30 million US Dollars through his YouTube channel – unboxing and reviewing toys.
YouTubers need to be enrolled in the YouTube Partner Programme (YPP) to include ads on their videos. A YouTube channel has to accumulate a minimum of 1,000 subscribers, 4,000 public watch hours in a year and at least 24 million yearly views to generate an income of 100,000 US Dollars.
The average YouTuber makes at least seven to eight Dollars per 1,000 views. 45% of that revenue goes to Google.
For Instagram influencers….
An Instagram page needs to have a minimum of 5,000 followers and at least 308 sponsored posts a year to generate 100,000 US Dollars.
An HBO documentary explores how Instagram and other platforms are manipulated to let influencers grow. On Instagram, an influencer can charge close to 250,000 US Dollars per post from a brand by switching their account to a business account.
For TikTok influencers…
A TikTok influencer needs to have a minimum of 10,000 TikTok subscribers and at least over 270 million views a year to generate 100,000 US Dollars from their account.
In the same way as YouTube, TikTok has a Creator Fund.
The requirements are –
- Creators need to be based within the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France and Spain;
- Be eighteen years old;
- Have 100,000 TikTok followers;
- Have 100,000 video views (in at least a month/30 days);
- Be aligned with TikTok’s terms of service and community guidelines.
TikTok influencers can make anything between 200 to 20,000 US Dollars for a branded video (depending on how many users interact with your videos, how many followers you have and the company you are working with).
Various factors would impact and affect your social media pay rate:
- Your reach and engagement;
- The social media application you are using;
- The sort of content you are posting – is it a caption, ad, image, video;
- What is your ‘influence’ – how far does it extend? Just to your followers or to a bigger audience as well?
- Did you reach out to the brand, or did they reach out to you? Collaboration is different from an independent contractor agreement. If you are working with an agency, then there may be an agency fee or other contract to consider as well;
- Where is the ad/content being promoted? On one of your platforms or multiple ones?
Before you decide to quit your day-to-day job, ask yourself if you are willing to put the work in; it takes patience before seeing a monetary profit from your social media accounts.